You know what I’m talking about: those sweet, creamy little swirls of ice cream clustered together in a small cup, covered in colorful toppings. Rolled ice cream is a frozen dessert that originated in Thailand, often referred to as ‘Thai rolled ice cream’ or ‘stir-fried ice cream.’ Many will recognize the creamy concoction as the treat that floods their Instagram every summer. If you thought you could only buy rolled ice cream from the pros, we have good news: it’s super simple to make your own version from scratch, and believe it or not, you only need 2 ingredients. Here’s how to make rolled ice cream at home.
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Pinch of salt
- Optional mix-ins: Chopped nuts, Oreos, cocoa powder, strawberry jam, sprinkles, caramel, cookie dough
- Optional toppings: Gummy bears, mochi, fresh fruit, sprinkles, cake chunks, chocolate chips, pretzels
- Step 1Whisk heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, and salt together in a bowl.
- Step 2Pour your ice cream base onto a metal sheet pan or rimmed baking sheet. Make sure it’s less than ¼ inch thick; 1/8 inch is ideal. It should just cover the bottom of the pan.
- Step 3If you’d like to add a mix-in, sprinkle it onto the sheet pan and use a silicone spatula to carefully distribute it evenly throughout the ice cream base.
- Step 4Place the sheet pan in the freezer until completely frozen, at least 4 hours.
- Step 5Once your ice cream has frozen solid, remove the sheet pan from the freezer. Position the sheet pan with a longer side towards you. Use a flat, sharp-edged metal spatula or paint scraper to carefully cut the ice cream into 3-inch wide strips. Next, use your spatula to scrape up then gently push each strip (at a 45° angle) into a tight tube, working quickly from top to bottom. If the roll needs help forming at the base of the pan, you can use a butter knife to form the sheet into a rolled shape. Use tongs to transfer the finished roll to your serving dish (chilled bowls with straight sides or ramekins work best). Repeat with remaining frozen ice cream on the sheet pan.
- Step 6Finish with any toppings you desire.
Culled from realsimple.com by Betty Gold